Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Awesome Apartment of Hedgehog and Kit!

Me and the Hedgehog live in a hospital!
Most awesome building ever.
No, seriously, we do. See, our apartment building used to be an old hospital, it was converted a long time ago to house people. Of course, if you look close enough, through the dingy gray carpet floors and the fake wood panel walls, you can still see the shapes of the old hospital rooms… It’s not so bad really, despite the fact my friend the Blonde One said it looks like something out of a Saw movie (then again, we don't often consider the Blonde one to be much of an authority on things other than web design...). I mean, it’s not like me and the Hedgehog are the ones living in the apartment that used to be the morgue. That was his aunt before she moved out!

Our apartment is a studio, which means that aside from the bathroom there’s no real escape from each other. So you can imagine that when we’re mad there’s no real place to go in order to cool down… which is why as of late we’ve been hanging out in the bathroom.

No, seriously.

It’s brightly lit in there, unlike the main room, and since it used to be a hospital bathroom it’s fairly large, large enough to set up a chair and a desk for the computer. We keep the window cracked and dangle the wi-fi adaptor we got from a cell-phone company out of it, so we get a full signal… Yeah, feel free to think of us as crazy. I certainly do.

"Hey, can you pass the toothpaste?"

Another interesting fact about the bathroom is that when the Hedgehog is in here late at night he claims to hear a woman talking to him. He always yells to see if it was me, but normally I’m either curled up asleep or I’m reading a book, so obviously it wasn’t me… There’s also a tile missing right in front of the bathroom door. I kinda freak myself out when the Hedgehog is gone for his military stuff by imagining scary things in there… Those nights I don’t sleep and leave the lights on all night, and even then I only sleep when the sun is up and the kitchen light is on.

We have a kitchen with the tiniest sink imaginable, which makes three dishes look like we haven’t washed them in a week. Also  in the kitchen we have this super moldy tile that’s quite terrifying. I never look up…

Only it's more colors than this.

It’s scary up there.

Oh, and above our bed there’s a square cut out of the tile. It was there when we moved in, the Hedgehog’s little sister made a really funny statement about how a hand would come down out of the hole at night and we would have to feed it…
I hunger for tacos!
Yeah, it freaked me out the first week we lived here. Now, not so much, but only because we like to imagine that Ceiling Cat lives up there.

Recently we got some glow-in-the dark stars and stuck them all over the ceiling, so now when the lights are out it’s all glowy and I imagine Ceiling Cat is peeping down at us from outer space.
Ceiling Cat loves you!
It makes me sleep like a baby…

No, really. This was the argument.
Our neighbors are kind of crazy… The first night after we moved in I heard the neighbors arguing… it was weird…

Those guys, the guys to the left of the apartment, used to argue constantly until the baby was born… at least,  I hope the baby was born…  I saw her in the hallway one day and she was pregnant, and a couple months later we’ve heard a baby crying in that apartment…

They aren’t the only  neighbors who fight,  though.  In fact, just last might, right after I got home from watching the Terror, the guys to our right and across the hall started screaming horribly. Then I heard glass shattering. When I went out later, the hallway was a mess…

There was a crib in front of a door and a bag of garbage had been emptied in the hall, and some clothing, men, women’s and children’s, was all mixed up with broken egg shells and a shattered fish bowl with the fish bowl stuff all strewn everywhere… shattered glass and bottles and rocks… A real mess…

Oh, hey! They’re arguing again! You know what this means? I'll have to talk to the police later.
Edit: And I did!

Oh, and a few months back we heard similar arguing and the sound of shattered glass and one of the window pane’s  for the stairwell was missing at there was blood splattered on the window and floor…

And the kids in this building love to bug us…
I swear they stand around waiting for the door to open...
They also like to call the Hedgehog my husband when talking about him.
This is a thought which terrifies me...
Oh! And sometimes at 2 am they like the play basketball!
Yeah, we see you out there, kids...
And I’ve seen two people get arrested here! The first guy waved a gun at the police! Yeah… home sweet home…

Morning After Edit: So, yeah. We ended up laying awake until 3am while they yelled and carried on in the hallway, by the way, this was after I'd already had to talk to the police because of the trouble they were causing. Eventually the landlord showed up, screamed at everyone, and made them clean up their mess; but until that happened, Hedgehog sat up playing DS and making “banjo noises”.

Why is he so cute and childish?

No comments:

Post a Comment